Hey everyone! Getting psyched for the big 5k run in Providence, Rhode Island this coming Sunday! I look forward to meeting some of you in the area and hope to inspire you to continue on your journey to a healthier lifestyle! I had to take my wifes car in for a detail and didn’t have a ride home this morning so I walked….8 miles in 2 hours! 🙂 Then this afternoon I rode a bike to pick it up! Followed that with a spin class and some weight training! It is simply amazing how much energy I have now that I have dropped all that weight! Here is a tasty treat I found on the net this weekend that you might like!
Asian Beef and Cauliflower Stew Recipe
- Prep: 20 min. Cook: 65 min.
- Yield: 6 Servings
20 65 85
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 pounds lean round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 small head cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1 green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium or regular soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot, optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- Cooked rice
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown meat on all sides. Add broth; cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 hour. Add cauliflower, green pepper, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger root if desired. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Combine cornstarch, sugar and water. Stir into meat mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in green onions. Serve on rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts One serving (using reduced-sodium soy sauce) equals 165 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 771 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Asian Beef and Cauliflower Stew in Country Woman May/June 1992, p31