Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3-5 chicken breasts or thighs
- 6 tomatoes, large
- 1/2 an onion, cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 2 cups chicken broth mixed with 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon red chile powder or chile paste
- salt to taste
While the tomatoes are broiling, bring the chicken broth to a strong simmer and add in the chile, cumin, oregano, garlic and cocoa.
When the tomatoes are ready, remove from broiler and let cool for 1 minute.
While the tomatoes cool, turn the chicken
Peel the skin off of each tomato and use a spoon to remove the seeds from the middle. Using your fingers, mash the tomato a little and add into the sauce. Separate the onions and stir into the sauce. Let the sauce reduce while chicken finishes cooking.