Scales showed a very small loss (.2) but hey! Anyway, rode the tread mill again for 2 miles, weight trained (I will post my schedule for this tomorrow), and walked 3 miles. I found this recipe yesterday and will try it this weekend. It sounds yummy!
This soup is creamy and comforting, but also has enough spice to be interesting. You can easily double the recipe by using a large (29 oz) can of pumpkin. If you’re going to use fresh pumpkin, just put the pumpkin on a baking sheet, slit it to let out the steam, and cook it in a 350 F oven until soft — about 45 to 60 minutes. Split, let cool, and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Mash, or use blender or food processor until pumpkin puree is smooth.
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic – chopped or pressed
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon coriander (ground seed)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 15-16 oz. can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (can use bouillion)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar substitute
1. In large pot or saucepan, heat oil and saute onions until soft. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 30 seconds, and then add the spices for another 30 seconds or so (until fragrant, but do not let the spices burn). Add wine, and stir for another minute. Remove from heat.2. Add the pumpkin and one cup of liquid. Puree with stick blender, or in blender or food processor. When smooth, heat in pot with the rest of the liquid until simmering. Taste. Add a small amount of sweetener. Balance the flavors — add a little hot sauce or a small amount of raw grated ginger if you want more of a kick. Add salt to taste if needed. Add a bit more sweetener if the flavors seem a little harsh.
3. Good garnishes included pumpkin seeds, bacon bits, or grated Parmesan or sharp cheddar cheese.
Makes about 5 one-cup servings.
Nutritional Information: Each serving has 9 grams effective carbohydrate plus 3.5 grams fiber, 3 grams protein, and 134 calories.